Mondays can be tough, and margaritas can help. In honor of the fact that today is National Margarita Day (a totally legit holiday, by the way), we're bringing you new twists on an old classic.
Also known as the Tangorita, this "mad-scientist" style concoction by Panfusine includes chat masala - a spice powder mix commonly used in Indian and Pakistani cuisine. So, when East meets West they get together and have a drink? We dig it.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 tablespoons Mango puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Tamarind pulp (NOT the concentrate)
- Juice of lime
- 4 ounces Tequila
- 4 ounces Triple sec
- 1.4-1.2 teaspoons Chat masala
- 2 pinches aleppo pepper
- 1 tray of standard ice cubes
- Combine the ice cubes, mango & tamarind pulp in a ice crushing enabled blender and blend into a thick slush
- Combine the tequila, triple sec, lime juice, chaat masala and aleppo pepper into the same jar & pulse it once or twice to blend
- Rim the edges of margarita glasses with crushed pink Himalayan salt. Pour out the cocktail into the glasses & serve chilled with a red thai chilli as garnish.
Ditch the shortcake and make Debbie's sweet strawberry 'rita instead.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 cups fresh halved strawberries
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 1½ ounces Grand Marnier
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 teaspoons of simple syrup, sugar, or honey (optional)
- 2-3 cups ice
- Margarita salt
- Add the strawberries, tequila, Grand Marnier, mint, and lime to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the ice to the strawberry mixture and pulse to puree until smooth.
- Spread margarita salt onto a small plate. Rub the squeezed lime around the rim of each serving glass. Roll the rim of each glass in the salt.
- Pour into 2 glasses and serve immediately.
California tweak: Use ice cubes made of CALIWATER Cactus+Berry Water (coming soon) to enhance the wild strawberry flavor.
3. Cinnamon Orange Margarita
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 4 navel oranges
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Ground Cinnamon
- For Cinnamon Oranges: With a sharp knife, remove rind and white pith from oranges. Cut each into 5 or 6 slices and place in bowl. Whisk together orange juice and lemon juice and sugar. Pour over oranges, add cinnamon stick, cover and place in fridge for up to 2 days.
- For Margarita: To a cocktail shaker filled with ice, add one orange slice, 3 ounces cinnamon orange syrup, plus 3 ounces tequila. Add ice and shake vigorously until chilled, about 2 minutes. Strain into glass filled with ice and sprinkle with salt and ground cinnamon, garnish with cinnamon stick.
- 2oz Silver Tequila
- ¼ Dragon Fruit, skin removed and cubed
- ½ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz-1oz agave nectar (more or less to sweeten)
- 2 drops rose water
- sea salt for the rim- optional
- Rim a margarita glass or tumbler with lime juice and sea salt. (optional)
- In a cocktail shaker add dragon fruit cubes, lime juice, and agave nectar. Muddle into a pulp.
- Fill shaker with ice and add in tequila and rose water. Shake vigorously until ice is broken down and margarita is well chilled. (Alternately you can blend the entire drink if you prefer a blended margarita.)
- Pour contents into prepared glass and garnish with a slice of dragon fruit. Enjoy.
- Note: Sadly that pretty pink dragonfruit skin is not edible so make sure to remove it before eating.
5. Extreme Citrus Ginger Spicy Margarita
@Modernbartender is really onto something here. Grapefruit juice, jalepeño, and ginger ale? We didn't see that coming.
Ingredients/Directions (serves 2):
- 3 shots favorite tequila @patron
- 5 slices of jalepeño
- 1 Tbls fresh cilantro (or not if you hate cilantro)
Muddle all those together in a shaker, then add:
- 1/2 blood orange - juiced
- 1 small lime - juiced
- 1/4 cup grapefruit - juiced
- 2 Tbls lilikoi (passion fruit) concentrate
Shake it like you mean it. Prepare a glass.
- 1 Tbls Tajin @tajinoficial
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp black rock salt
Rim your glass. Fill it with ice. Using a little mesh strainer, evenly pour the cocktail into the glasses . Top with a generous amount of ginger soda. I prefer a fresh juiced ginger soda. But use what you like or have access to. Then proceed to suck um up.
This is one margarita that will have you feeling like there's sand between your toes even when you're stuck inside. Thanks, Life Eclectic, for the beautiful blend of sugar and spice!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- -1/4 cup silver tequila
- 2 oz. triple sec
- 1 juice of 1 lime
- 1 and 1/3 cup mango juice
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Ingredients (cayenne-sugar rim)
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lime wedge
In a cocktails shaker, combine tequila, triple sec, lime juice, mango juice, sugar, cayenne pepper, and a handful of ice. Fill a saucer dish sugar and a little cayenne pepper and mix well. Take one wedge of lime and rub it around the rim of your cocktail glasses (do this to two glasses). Turn your glasses over and coat the rim with the sugar-cayenne mixture. Fill both glasses with ice and then pour the cayenne mango margarita into the glasses. Prost!
From the Disney Food Blog:
- The Beet Margarita is a combination of beet juice, ginger liquor, fresh lime, agave nectar, and — just like all the margaritas on the menu — premium 100% agave tequila. It’s served on the rocks with a rim of poblano pepper salt.
- [In the Blood Orange Margarita], the 100% agave tequila is combined with orange liqueur and blood orange juice on the rocks. The Tajin chili powder rim is paired with a topper of wild berry foam, which serves to bring out the berry-like flavor of the blood orange.
9. Blackberry Basil and Pineapple Chipotle Margaritas
Was learning Spanish one of your New Year's resolutions? Start with something simple, like dos margaritas, por favor!
Blackberry Basil Margarita - Healthy Delicious
Ingredients (serves 4):
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup loosely packed fresh basil, torn into large pieces
- 1 cup frozen blackberries, defrosted
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- ½ cup tequila
- 4 cups ice
- Combine sugar, water, and bail in a large saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves and basil wilts (liquid will be clear). Let stand 15 minutes; discard basil.
- Add sugar syrup, blackberries, and orange juice to a blender. Process until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine mesh strainer placed over a pitcher; discard seeds. Add the liquid back to the blender, along with tequila and ice. Blend on high until drink is smooth and slushy.
Pineapple Chipotle Margarita - Fabiana Santana
- 2 parts tequila, such as Sauza Blue Silver 100-percent Agave Tequila
- 2 parts pineapple juice
- 1 part frozen limeade
- Dash of chipotle hot sauce
- Chipotle peppers for garnish (optional)
Combine the tequila, pineapple juice, limeade, and hot sauce in a shaker filled with ice. Shake and strain. Serve on the rocks and garnish with a chipotle pepper.
10. Prickly Pear Margarita
Obviously, this is our favorite. When the desert gives you something as healthful and flavorful as the prickly pear, you raise a glass in thanks to Mother Nature!
Bring 2 prickly pears, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1 and 1/2 cups of water to a boil and then strain it for your home made syrup.
Next, combine 2 ounces of tequila, 1/2 ounce of triple sec, 1 and 1/2 ounces of lime juice, and 2 ounces of the home made syrup.
Pour over ice, salt your rim, and enjoy! For a little extra flavor, add a splash of CALIWATER.
Let the good times roll with CALIWATER on your bar cart.